Celebrate visual arts at the Edinburgh Art Festival this August 2019
- Event: Edinburgh Arts Festival
- Date: Thursday 25th July – Sunday 25th August
- Venue: Multiple
Not to be confused with the Fringe, August also sees one of the UK’s biggest arts festivals take place. Already a week into proceedings when the month starts, the Edinburgh Arts Festival is back to showcase some of the best homegrown talent in the art world, as well as exhibits by renowned international names.
Are you coming to Edinburgh as part of this year’s festival and looking for accommodation in the city centre? You’ll be hard pressed to find a better location than right here at Fraser Suites Edinburgh.
To help make planning easy; we’ve compiled all the essential information you should know about the festival and how to get around while you’re here.
When is the Edinburgh Arts Festival?
The festival is a month long, running from Thursday 25th July to Sunday 25th August. This year will be the 16th year of the arts festival.
Where is the Edinburgh Arts Festival held?
There is a multitude of venues hosting exhibitions throughout the month. They include:
- Edinburgh College of Art
- Edinburgh Printmakers
- Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop
- National Galleries of Scotland
- National Museum of Scotland
- Open Eye Gallery
- Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery
- Talbot Rice Gallery
- The Fine Art Society
- The Fruitmarket Gallery
- The Queen’s Gallery
- The Scottish Gallery
What is on the programme this year?
There is going to be a lot on offer this year. Some of the exhibitions already attracting attention include:
- Grayson Perry: Julie Cope’s Grand Tour at Dovecot Studios
- James Richards: Migratory Motor Complex at Collective
- Cindy Sherman: Early Works, 1975-80 at Centre for Photography
- Modern Master IX at The Scottish Gallery
How much do tickets cost?
The majority of events taking place are free to the public. There are some special events to be announced which may incur a charge. You’ll be able to find more information at the Edinburgh Arts Festival site.
Where can I find accommodation near Edinburgh Arts Festival?
You can’t get better than Fraser Suites Edinburgh for luxury hotel accommodation in the city centre.
Are you planning an overnight stay? You’ll want to take a look at our classic deluxe rooms, a fully-furnished serviced residence with kitchenette and welcome amenities.
Staying for the weekend or a week and need a good base that will have you feeling like you’re living at home (with added luxury)? Our serviced one bedroom apartments provide that exciting city living experience with unparallel comfort from a suite with its own living room and kitchen.
How can I get to the Edinburgh Arts Festival from Fraser Suites Edinburgh?
We are situated right in the heart of the city, making it the perfect hub to have if you’re planning to attend events across the city throughout the festival.
In terms of how long it would take to get to a venue from your suite, average journey times by foot are:
- National Galleries of Scotland – 4 minutes
- National Museum of Scotland – 6 minutes
- Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art - 30 minutes
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery – 12 minutes
- The Fruitmarket Gallery – 4 minutes
- The Queen’s Gallery – 14 minutes
- The Scottish Gallery – 13 minutes
More events this August
Wondering what else is happening in Edinburgh throughout the month? It’s going to be an action-packed month with the Fringe taking over hundreds of venues around town, while Summer Sessions 2019 sees the like of Primal Scream and Lewis Capaldi playing sold-out shows at Princes Street Gardens.
You can keep up to date with what’s happening by reading our guide to Edinburgh in August.